What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are an injectable gel-like substance used to shape, contour and fill tissue, resulting in a youthful appearance. Filler is comprised of hyaluronic acid, a naturally-occurring substance that is already found in our bodies. Dermal fillers typically last 9-12 months before the body gradually breaks down the filler particles naturally. There are many fillers on the market, each with differing properties.
Facial fillers help to diminish facial lines and restore volume and fullness in the face. As we age, our faces naturally lose subcutaneous fat. The facial muscles are then working closer to the skin’s surface. Dermal fillers can be very helpful in those with early signs of aging, or as a value-added part of a Soft Lift. At CosMedics we offer the best options available.
Benefits of facial fillers
One of the first changes of aging—one that occurs in your 20s and 30s—is the loss of facial volume. Your cheeks aren’t as plump as they used to be. Your temple area and your jawline both have started to lose volume. It’s all due to a loss of collagen. And when the cheek area loses its collagen, it starts to descend, making the thin area around your eyes more evident. In some people, this shows up as darkness around the eyes, or a sunken in look.
These non-surgical treatments, help Edmonton patients boost volume under the skin to reduce wrinkles and improve facial contours. Relatively quick and comfortable, dermal fillers are a great option for both men and women who desire gentle, effective facial rejuvenation.*
What to expect during your dermal filler treatment:
Step 1 – Facial assessment & mapping
If you choose to use dermal fillers, Dr. Singh will evaluate your facial appearance and skin tone and examine the areas to address.
Step 2 – Cleansing & anesthetizing
The injection sites will be cleansed with an antibacterial agent. While not painless, the injections are usually easily tolerated.
Step 3 – The injection
Injection usually takes only a few moments per site. The process of injecting, massaging, and evaluating the result is performed, and additional filler added as needed.
Depending on the number of areas to be treated, the whole process may be as short as 15 minutes, or as long as an hour.
Step 4 – Clean up & recovery
You may be offered an ice pack to reduce swelling and alleviate discomfort.
Before and after care
In order to minimize bruising:
- Avoid Aspirin, Advil or any anti-inflammatory medication during the week prior to injection; this may increase the risk of bruising or bleeding at the injection site. If possible, discontinue these medications at least 3 days (preferably 1 week) before the treatment. Do not discontinue these medications without consulting with your physician if they are medically necessary.
- Avoid green teas or herbal supplements, ex., flax or fish oils, multi-vitamins and red wine.
- One day prior, you may start using Arnica, which is a herbal supplement that minimizes bruising. This is available at our front desk.
- To ensure a comfortable procedure please eat and keep hydrated prior to the procedure.
- Optimally, do not wear any make-up on the day of the procedure. If minimal make-up or skincare products are worn, you will be asked to wash your face with a cleanser to minimize the risk of infection.
- Initially, there may be swelling, especially in the lips. Some patients can experience swelling for about 1 week and the treated area (i.e., lips) can look somewhat uneven during this time. DO NOT massage or manipulate the injection sites during the first week, even if there are lumps or they appear uneven, as this is a normal part of the healing process. This means that the results immediately after treatment should not be looked upon as the final result. Your ideal results will occur in about 3 weeks when the fillers have fully integrated with the surrounding tissue.
- Avoid touching the treated area for 6 hours following treatment. After that, the area can be gently washed with soap and water, patted dry, and light make-up can be applied, if desired. If the lips feel dry, use the Lip Therapy that was provided and avoid lipsticks and medicated lip balms. After 24 hours, full make-up and your usual lip care can be used again.
- Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area(s) to intense heat (ex., sauna, sun tanning, hot tubs) or extreme cold. Exercise and alcohol should also be avoided for the first 6 hours after treatment.
- If you have previously suffered from cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another cold sore. Please ask Dr. Singh for medications to take prior to treatment to avoid cold sores from developing. Prophylactic anti-virals should be taken the day before your appointment.
- Bruising is a natural response to injections by the skin. Although we try to minimize its occurrence, please anticipate its possibility. Please, do not schedule your appointment before any upcoming special events. Bruising duration varies with the patient and can last anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks.
- Evidence shows that having a follow-up treatment before the product has fully dissipated will enhance the lasting effects. Please consult with Dr. Singh about recommendations for touch-up or follow-up treatment.
Risks/common side effects
Immediately after the treatment, common side effects are temporary redness, swelling, tenderness and an itching sensation at the injection sites. This can be a normal reaction to the injections but is typically resolved within 2-3 days. Cold compresses may be used after treatment (no longer than 2 minutes at a time) to help with swelling, bruising and any tenderness. Tylenol use after treatment is also acceptable. If you notice any blanching, discolouration or pain around the injected area, please phone our office at (780) 428-9333 immediately. There will also be an after-hours phone number on the answering machine for you to call us.