What is Laser Hair Removal
We’re all familiar with the nicks and cuts of shaving, the “ouch” of tweezing, and the frustration of waxing. When shaving, waxing, plucking, and other methods become too time-consuming, costly, or painful, laser hair removal can be an excellent option to permanently reduce unwanted hair nearly anywhere on the body. Using state-of-the-art laser technology, laser hair removal in our Edmonton facility can provide permanent hair reduction for a variety of body areas and skin types *.
Laser hair removal works by sending intense laser energy into the hair follicles. The laser is absorbed by the pigment in the follicles and converted to heat. The heat then loosens the hair and disables the cells responsible for growing new hair.
Laser hair removal is swiftly gaining popularity. With so many benefits, this comes as no surprise. But as more men and women consider the procedure, choosing a qualified provider becomes increasingly important. While laser hair removal can be quite safe and effective, this depends entirely upon choosing a skilled physician, someone with the training and experience to make the most of this powerful technology. You can trust the medical professionals at CosMedics to perform your laser hair removal. They are also skilled and experienced in other advanced treatments such as laser skin rejuvenation. They will care for your health, as well as your appearance.
Laser Hair Removal Can Treat the Following Areas
- Bikini line
- Face (any area except directly around the eyes)
- and more
What to Expect During Your IPL Laser Treatment
Laser hair removal treatments at our Edmonton practice are quick and easy. Our specific laser system works several times faster than other light-based hair removal systems. A woman’s legs or a man’s back can be treated in under 30 minutes, and smaller areas (such as the underarms, upper lip or bikini line) can be treated in even less time. A series of treatments is required because hair grows in stages and not all hairs will be in an active growth phase during each treatment.
After your initial preparation, a handpiece will be moved over your skin in the targeted area. The handpiece emits light that disables the hair follicles. Most people experience minimal discomfort during the procedure, often described as a slight “snapping” sensation. Most people experience some mild redness and tenderness in the targeted area shortly after treatment *. This does not interfere with normal activities and usually subsides within a day.
Before and After Care
- Before each treatment, please inform our team if you are taking any antibiotics or medications, as they may make your skin sensitive to treatments, and we may not be able to treat you until after completion of the medication.
- Use sunscreen with SPF of at least 30 daily. Sunburned/tanned skin cannot be treated.
- Avoid any irritants to your face, such as any products containing hydroquinone, bleaching creams, Retin-A, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents or chemical peels for at least two weeks.
- If used for hair removal, shave the area to be treated one day prior to your appointment.
- Do not pick, as scabbing could lead to scarring.
- Use a gentle cleanser, pat skin dry and avoid rubbing treated areas
- Makeup may be used after the treatment if there is no extended redness, blistering, or scabbing. Make sure that you have moisturizer on under your makeup; use it frequently on the treated area.
- Avoid sun exposure for 4-6 weeks post treatment to reduce the chance of dark and light spots. Use sun protectant SPF 30 or greater with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide at all times throughout the course of treatment.
Risks/Common Side Effects
- Darkening of the skin
- Blistering of the skin