Increase circulation, rejuvenate skin, and rebuild collagen
What is microneedling?
Microneedling involves using a tool with multiple tiny, sterile needles to puncture the skin and cause physical trauma. This trauma prompts the deep layers of your skin to increase circulation, rejuvenate skin, and rebuild collagen.
In addition, microneedling can create channels in the skin to more efficiently deposit rejuvenating nutrients—such as topical hydrating B5 gel, hyaluronic acid or vitamin C serum—deeper into the skin. This can boost the treatment of a variety of issues, including acne, scarring, and stretch marks.
Microneedling may help address many skin-related complaints, such as:
- Uneven skin tone and texture
- Skin pigmentation issues
- Stretch marks
What to expect during your treatment
Our medical aesthetician will cleanse your skin and apply a topical numbing cream to your skin. While the procedure isn’t painful, you will experience a prickly sensation. The numbing cream will help make the procedure more comfortable.
Once the topical numbing cream has taken effect, the residual cream will be removed and a Hyaluronic acid will be applied to the skin. The microneedling pen will then be swept across your skin in controlled depths from .05mm-2.0mm. Patients may experience some slight “pin prick” bleeding; however, bleeding is usually very minimal and usually subsides as soon as the procedure is complete.
Your skin will then be cleansed and a sunscreen will be applied to protect your newly microneedled skin. It is recommended that patients apply a hydrating mask such as our Greenness Mask the evening of the procedure, as the Hyaluronic Acid in the mask will help hydrate the skin and is more easily absorbed into the freshly treated skin.
Microneedling after care
- It recommended to avoid makeup for the day of treatment and if possible, the day following the treatment.
- You may cleanse your skin the evening of your treatment with a gentle cleanser, warm water, and gently pat dry.
- A hydrating Hyaluronic Mask, such as the Greenness Mask, is recommend to apply to skin before bed on the evening of procedure. After 20 minutes you may remove the mask but do not rinse off serum residue; simply allow it to be absorbed into your skin.
- After 48-72 hours any redness will have subsided and your skin will no longer feel “sensitive.” At this point, you may return to regular skin care regimen. Retinol products are recommended for optimal results.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure for at least 10 days and always protect your skin with broad based sunscreen.
Microneedling side effects and risks
Microneedling is a safe and effective treatment, but it is not uncommon to experience slight skin irritation following the treatment.
Other side effects could include:
- Discomfort at the site
- Flaking of the skin
Bleeding is an uncommon reaction to microneedling, though it may be more likely to occur after a deeper treatment. Pin prick bleeding that may arise usually subsides as soon as the procedure has been completed.